Thursday, August 16, 2012

What I eat

So, I've had a couple people ask me what I eat since I've cut out meat, dairy, eggs, and oil. The short answer is that I have a lot I can eat. Right now, I have enchiladas baking in the oven. With all the fantastic food in season right now, I've been eating veggie wraps: lettuce, lots of tomato, cilantro, red onion, bell pepper, and brown mustard in whole wheat wraps. Very good.

Yesterday, in an attempt to get Jack involved in the kitchen and give him something healthy to eat, we made chocolate pudding.
Recipe:
1 box of lite silken tofu
1/4 cup of cocoa poweder
1/4 cup of agave
1 teaspoon of vanilla
a pinch of salt

Blend until smooth

He loved it. After dishing his portion out, I added a bunch of raspberries that needed to be eaten to mine and blended it all together. It was rich and chocolatey without the guilt that I normally associate with desserts.

It's ridiculous. I would be sitting at the table, or standing at the counter, shoveling whatever sweet I could get my hands on into my mouth, bemoaning my lack of willpower. I'd swear that this was the last time I'd eat this way, and that I'd start exercising every day....starting tomorrow. I'd hid what I was eating from Jack. The reasons were two fold: I didn't want him to have the junk food addiction that I have, but truthfully, I didn't want to share. My cake! Mine!!

If I need a snack that's easy, I've been eating puffed kamut cakes from Martin's. Given the abundance of tomatoes from the garden, I've been eating a lot of them with basil from the farmer's market.

A friend of mine from high school posted on her blog about seeing her roommate's junk food, and being rather amazed that it doesn't have any pull on her. How well I know. Brad can easily ignore the cake until it's time for dessert, or only have one piece of dark chocolate. And then there's me. I feel like I'm at constant warfare with junk food. I can't ignore it. I feel like it's talking to me, mocking me. Does anyone else out there have this problem?


2 comments: