Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday weigh in, breaking bad habits, and getting nervous

184.4! I'm especially happy about this because early in the week, I had a couple of days where staying on track was difficult. Monday, I took Jack and Cy to the fair and was there much longer than I anticipated and ended up being ravenous. This may come as a shock to some, but it's impossible to eat a plant-strong diet at the fair. Jack wanted chicken nuggets, french fries, and lemonade. I was able to resist the call of the nugget, but I had some fries. They weren't that great. I anticipated fawning all over them like a long lost love, but I didn't feel like I'd missed them. The only reason I ate them was because I was really, really hungry. The lemonade was loaded with sugar I'm sure, but I must admit that I enjoyed it immensely.

I also discovered almond milk ice cream this week. Fewer calories and less fat than traditional ice cream, but again, I didn't feel like I really enjoyed it. The main reason I got it was because I've been trying to cut out a lot of dairy from Jack's diet. He liked it, so now I know that I can buy that instead of normal ice cream and he feels like he's gotten his treat.

This week was about Jack. I've been having some trouble disciplining him lately and I was beginning to get desperate. I remembered hearing once about finding ways to say "yes" to your toddler. I found fun things to get us out of the house and to make him feel like his needs were being met. I do feel like it made a difference. The problem that I'm having is that I got lazy after Cy was born about being consistent in my expectations of Jack. It was easier to let things slide a little than to fight the good fight every day. Unfortunately, 7 months after Cy was born, we have some very bad habits that have developed. Sometimes I feel like he's in control instead of Brad and myself, and that's what we've been tackling the last couple days. There were some tears, but not nearly as many as I expected. In order for me to have some modicum of sanity, I've got to reestablish that while I do love him and do take his needs and wants into consideration, I am in charge. Not him.

I had a very long conversation with my sister this morning about this. It's good to have someone with older children that can give you the perspective that you can't see when you're dealing with such young children.

So, I have something like 6 days left with hair. The reality is beginning to sink in now that I'm going to be sporting some very short hair this winter. Those who know me, know that I am always cold, and I'm sure that lacking hair isn't going to help the situation.

My goals for this week- 3 pounds lost and exercise in one form or another every day. The exercise will be the challenge. I am not a morning person, and by the time I get both boys fed and sometimes dressed, and get myself fed, clean up from breakfast, and get showered, it's time for Cy's first nap. But, I really want to be down in the lower 160's by my 31st birthday in December. I need to get myself back in the habit of exercising daily again. I feel so alive since I've changed my diet. If I add daily exercise on top of that, I can't imagine what I'll be able to tackle. Marathon?

4 comments:

  1. All in all it sounds like a good week Sarah. And you can knit some hats in your spare time, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the "Babs." It is my google pseudonym

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seek out Abbey's advice almost daily. Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, you had WAY more success at the fair than I did. During the Bergton fair beauty pageant, I consumed fried chicken and French fries, half a funnel cake, a fried Oreo and a country ham sandwich. I'd like to say i did it to support the 4-H club and square dance team...yes, that sounds good. That's why I did it.

    ReplyDelete