Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thwarted by myself.

So, yesterday Jack wanted to "make something." After cruising several websites and checking my pantry for ingredient available, I decided on these little devils. Oh. My. God.

They were epic. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a serious weakness for the heavenly chocolate and peanut butter combination. I am completely powerless to the call. I stored them in the freezer in the hopes that it would slow me down. It didn't. At all. I inhaled several (4) the first hour Brad was home.

I love to bake. I find it therapeutic. I love sweets. I find comfort in them. Yes, I eat for comfort. Unfortunately I don't eat celery for comfort. The vast majority of what I eat is healthy. I've got an awesome wheat berry salad sitting in my fridge right now. I shop at the farmers' market weekly. I just don't get why I'm having such an extremely hard time ditching the sweet/fat habit.

I know it's an addiction. I know. I have a new found respect for anyone who's kicked a drug habit. This is hard!

When I make things like this, I count on Brad and Jack to "help" out and eat some of whatever I make. I feel that I'll be safe as long as they eat. They never help as much as I need them to. Brad stopped at one before dinner, and then had another before bed. I don't know how many I ate. Jack, well, Jack just never seems to eat. I don't understand why I cannot stop eating. How can they stop when something is so good?

I don't keep sugary snacks or anything "junky" in the house. So, I was thwarted by myself. I made these. I ate these. I have no one to blame but myself.

Here's my problem. I bake as an outlet. I enjoy making sweets. If I stop baking sweets, I feel like I'm idle, stagnant. So next time I bake, any takers on what I make?

3 comments:

  1. I'll take a date bar! :)

    Seriously, and I can say this as someone who has lost now 26 (yay!) pounds - it's not about the food! There's always an underlying emotional issue. If you cover it up with food, then you've created a second problem (weight gain, unhealthy habits) in addition to the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I don't know why that showed up with Claire's name, but you know who this is. :)

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling of thwarting yourself. It's so frustrating, because you can't even enjoy what you're eating because you are so aware of the thwartage! :/

    And I'm giggling over "Claire" losing 26 pounds. What'd you do, Claire, cut off your hair? ;)

    ReplyDelete