Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday weigh in.

I almost skipped posting today. Almost. I'm embarrassed. I'm up to 194. I'm going to attribute the gain to going to the Bridgewater Lawn Party two nights in a row. I didn't want to go last night in particular, but Brad and Jack wanted to go, it only happens once a year, and so on.

Prior to going yesterday, I had behaved myself really well. I had an oatmeal smoothie for breakfast, snacked a little on unsalted sunflower seeds, and had roasted chick peas and baby carrots for lunch. We had some errands that we needed to run in town, but we had a much later start than I anticipated. I was hungry, and then Brad sprang the whole, "Let's go to Bridgewater" thing on me.

In case you're wondering, it extremely hard to eat a healthy diet at a lawn party. The healthiest thing there were the white beans, but even they have fat back in them for flavor. I also drank a Diet Coke, which while delicious, did nothing to assuage hunger. It also resulted in me being awake well past midnight.

So, after today's weigh in, I was thinking to myself that today is a new day and a new week and we were starting over. I had a glass of almond milk, some sunflower seeds, and sat down to start planning my day out. The phone rings. It's my sister, Abbey, talking about the annual Bowman Family Reunion. *Face plant* I had forgotten all about it. I enjoy going to these reunions a lot. I enjoy spending time both with my immediate family and my extended family. I'm not going to lie. I like showing my kids off, too. There's just one little hitch.

There are tables of food. My extended family is Mennonite. They are known for the tasty food, but not for dieter friendly tasty food. There's always a bucket of fried chicken, numerous bowls of potato salad, deviled eggs, and a HUGE table of desserts. Half of the food brought is dessert in origin. I remember as a child, going to my Aunt Maxine's house and gorging myself on food. Eating to the point of being sick, and then eating more. Ladylike I am not.

So, what to do? What's my plan for overcoming all this food? Well, I'm thinking I'm going to eat another banana on the way there and drinking a lot of water, sticking to veggie based food, and hoping for the best. I'm bringing my date bars, so I know that there will be at least one dessert that isn't filled to the brim with sugar.

Today is a new day and a new week. I will conquer the family reunion tables of food. I will not let them beat me. I am a human. They are inanimate tables of inanimate food. I am STRONG!

Off I go to drink more water.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm bringing a mini cooler with food. Sometimes that's the only way to deal with being in a place where the food options aren't great.

    (Okay, and a little secret? I just remember how many flies have landed on all the food that's sitting out, and suddenly it doesn't look so good.) ;)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete