Monday, March 17, 2014

My Itchy Bump in the Road

The last time I was on here, I was a poster child for the awesomeness of Wellbutrin. I was ready to scream the benefits of it from the rooftops, and I still would, even if I'm not on it anymore.

Dear Reader, I am sure you are perplexed as to why I am not on said wonder drug. It started with some itching in the car a couple weeks ago. I assumed my sweater was the culprit and changed as soon as I got home about eight hours later. I continued to itch that night. When I woke up the next morning, it was gone.

Two days later, it happened again. As it was in the evening, I took some benedryl and headed to bed. I thought that maybe I just had a weird virus that was manifesting itself in the form of insane itching and hives. I woke up the next morning feeling hung over, but the itching is gone.

The next day, I had a follow up appointment to talk about my amazing progress on wellbutrin. As I was heading out the door, I asked him casually if the wellbutrin could be causing the itchiness and hives. His eyes got wide and told me to make sure I knew where my inhaler was and if it happened again, to call him and let him know. That was not the news I had hoped for.

That night, I started with a little itchiness. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't happening. And that worked until 3am. I woke up scratching my lower back so hard that I was bleeding. 30 minutes later, I still was not able to stop the scratching and go back to sleep, so more benedryl it was for me.

I called my doctor's office the next morning and left a message for a nurse to call me back about the itching. I have never gotten a call back so quickly. It's funny how mentioning hives and allergic reaction can catch one's attention. So, I've been off medication for about 10 days now. I'm waiting to see if my total shit insurance company will cover Cymbalta. I really hope I hear back soon. I'm feeling very listless and wanting to be left alone again.

When I was in the doctor's office to talk about new medication, I mentioned that I was having problems with my skin. It's been acting up since September. At first, I thought it was eczema and hoped it would go away much like all the other times I've had scaly spots. It did not. It continued to spread over my face. I would happily trade my skin now my skin when I was 16. I've never had acne, but I do now!

I've tried all I could at home, but I was not having any luck in getting rid of it. My dear doctor, whom I've been seeing for 11ish years now, suggested trying some prescription strength cream that has salyclic acid and erythromicin in it to get it under control.

Oh. My. God. Would that I could go back and say no thanks. Words that would describe my face right now would be: painful, dry, bright red, painful, splotchy, peely, prickly, scabby, painful, puffy, painful, etc..


This would be my face Saturday morning.


I should never have touched that stuff. Thanks to Dr. Google, I have deduced that I have indeed had a reaction to the acid and it should take 10 days to two weeks for my skin to go back to normal. I plan on being a hermit until then. I cannot hide this under makeup. Makeup makes the whole feeling on my face more intense and uncomfortable. Touching my face is a dangerous game. Either it'll hurt, or it will set off a vicious cycle of itching and scratching which eventually ends up hurting.  Jack cannot stop trying to touch it, and Cyrus needs to touch it in order to go to sleep. I am not a happy camper. Every time I see myself in the mirror, it surprises me. Then, I can't help but lean in really close, and examine my face and hope for a spot that's starting to clear. There's been no clearing yet, but I can tell you that I will certainly be leaving well enough alone for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment